Over the course of your graduate study, you will complete many forms. Some important ones are listed here for your reference. Unless otherwise stated, completed forms should be turned in to the Graduate Coordinator. Always make sure to use the latest/authoritative forms which can had either from this site, from the graduate school’s website (http://www.graduateschool.vt.edu) or the registrar’s website (http://www.registrar.vt.edu).
University level forms are processed within the department and forwarded to the graduate school for final disposition using the form submission portal below. The most authoritative versions can always be found at the graduate school forms page and hence they are not linked below. Again submit them to the GC.
How to Submit a Form
Please use our online form submission portal to submit your form to your respective graduate coordinator. Please do not email the form to your coordinator. It will be returned to you to submit through this portal.
- Use this form to switch between MS and PhD programs and to switch between MS and MEng programs.
- Use this form to allow coursework 5 years or older to be revalidated so they can be used on a plan of study.
- Use this form to withdraw from all courses in a given semester. This form should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
- Use this form to switch between thesis and non-thesis options.
- Use this form to list the courses to be taken to fulfill your MEng degree requirements. An instruction sheet is provided for your convenience.
- You should submit this form prior to the end of the second semester in the program.
- Use this form to list the courses to be taken to fulfill your MS or PhD degree requirements and also identify your advisory committee. An instruction sheet is provided for your convenience.
- MS students should submit prior to the end of their second semester in the program.
- PhD students should submit prior to the end of their third semester in the program.
- Use this form to make changes to the courses listed in your plan of study.
- Submit this form after an approved plan of study is on file and prior to applying for your degree.
- Use this form to make changes to committee members, advisor(s), or composition of advisory committee.
- Submit prior to the submission of Request to Admit Candidate to the Final Exam form (see below).
Non-Virginia Tech Committee Member Form (F/S use only)
- This form is to only be completed by your Graduate Coordinator.
- To propose a non-VT professor/researcher to serve on your advisory committee, please send the most recent CV/professional website to your Graduate Coordinator who will then submit the credentials for approval to the Graduate School.
- This should be completed prior to the submission of the plan of study worksheet.
- Use this form to declare your intent to graduate in a given semester.
- The deadline is typically 1 month after the first day of classes, but submit as early as possible in the semester you intend to graduate.
- Submit this form to the Graduate School using their Forms Submission Portal.
- Note that the degree cannot be awarded without this form even if you have completed all requirements.
- PhD students should use this form to schedule their PhD preliminary exam.
- This form shoudl be submitted two weeks prior to the desired exam date.
- MS and PhD students should use this form to schedule their final exam.
- Submit this form at least two weeks prior to the desired exam date.
- NOTE: PhD students who wish to participate in Commencement (i.e., "walk"), should schedule their final exam one month before the last day of classes. You can schedule your final exam after this date, but there is no guarantee to participate in Commencement. Your advisor could make a request to the Graduate School for an exception and these are considered on an individual basis.
- MS and PhD students should use this form to allow them to register as a defense-only student in a given semester.
- This is typically used by students who intended to graduate the previous semester, but were unable to do so (typically they only need to complete their final exam or defense).
- Students who use this form are registered as a defense-only student in the current semester and registered for one credit.
- Students must defend by a stipulated deadline (usually within 2 weeks from the beginning of the semester).
- This form should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the desired exam date along with the Request to Admit Candidate to the Final Exam form.
- Use this form to register your thesis/dissertation with the ETD repository.
- This process needs to be completed 2 weeks after successfully completing the final exam.