Undergraduate Student Services Office
Location: 114 McBryde Hall
Hours: 8am-12pm, 1pm-5pm
Phone: (540) 231-6931
(CS Majors: A - Li)
(CS Majors: Lo - Z)
(CS Minors, Cybersecurity Minors)
Ruth Labbe Hale
Academic Advisors meet with students by appointment only. CS Majors should make an appointment using the Student Success Collaborative. Minors should contact Ruth Labbe Hale, for an appointment. Prospective students and others should contact our office for an appointment.
Please complete a plan of study to bring to advising appointments for discussion.
Force Add Requests
Follow our Force Add Procedures to complete our online force add survey. All undergraduate force add requests must be entered online through this survey.
Changing Your Major or Minor
Students wishing to change majors into Computer Science must follow the College of Engineering's process on the Change of Major/Minor page, which also provides information on switching to majors outside the College.
Students wishing to add the CS minor or Cybersecurity minor should refer to the Engineering Minors section of the change of Major/Minor page.
Please visit the College of Engineering forms website for forms related to:
- Approval of transfer courses
- Independent Study/Undergraduate Research
- Exam Change Requests
- Overload Requests
- Course Withdrawal
Undergraduate research opportunities can be found by:
- Reviewing our faculty research areas and contacting the faculty directly
- Reviewing the VTURCS website
The Office of Career & Professional Development provides guidance related to:
- Career path
- Co-op and internship opportunities
- Job search
- Graduate or professional study
Refer to the Registrar's timetable calendar for the current semester for important dates and deadlines related to course request, course add/drop, course withdrawal, and more.
Key Dates for Fall 2018:
- Sat. Nov. 24 Web add/drop begins for Spring 2019
- Fri. Nov. 30 Opening of Summer 2019 course request
- Wed. Dec. 5 Last day to apply for W grade policy
Key Dates for Spring 2019:
- Mon. Jan. 28 Last day to add Spring 2019 classes
- Fri. Feb. 1 Closing of course request for Summer 2019
- Thurs. Mar. 7 Last day to apply for Spring 2019 graduation (to receive diploma and name to appear in bulletin)
- Sat. Mar. 16 Web drop/add begins for Summer 2019
- Tues. Mar. 19 Opening of course request for Fall 2019
- Tues. Mar. 26 Close of course request for Fall 2019
- Fri. Apr. 12 Deadline to request rescheduling of Spring 2019 exams
- Sat. Apr. 13 Web add/drop begins for Fall 2019
- Wed. May 8 Last day to apply for W grade policy for Spring 2019
- Fri. May 31 Web add/drop closes for Fall 2019
Visit the Department of Engineering Education's Resources & Help page for additional information and links regarding academic support, academic success, tutoring, computer services, dining, and more.
Schedule a Visit
Information sessions for prospective CS students are held Monday-Friday at 1:15 PM in McBryde Hall by appointment. Please call 540-231-6931 to register for a session.