Leave of Absence and Readmission

Graduate students wishing to take some time off (e.g., a semester) from graduate studies must fill and submit a “Leave of Absence Request” Form. Once the leave is approved, the student can resume studies after the break. For leaves of more than one calendar year, a formal re-admission request must be submitted before rejoining VT. Such requests must be submitted in the semester prior to the semester in which studies are to be resumed.

Note that readmission goes through a process similar to when students were first admitted to the program. The admissions committee looks at the students record, and the student’s advisor is consulted. Depending on the time away from the program, a student might have to justify ‘old’ course work at the time of readmission.